Hi class! Today I'll talk about Ignacio Martin-Baró, who was a psychologist, philosophist and a jesuit priest. He was born on November 7th in 1942, in the spanish city of Valladolid. He studied in universities of Spain, Ecuador, Germany, United States, Belgium and El Salvador. But the most important place of his career was the Universidad Centroamericana "José Simeón Cañas" (UCA) of El Salvador, where he studied psychology, and also was a teacher. He is known for his work about Social Psychology, where he proposed and defended the idea that psychology has a close relation with the social and historical conditions of the territory where it is developed. Therefore, he writted a lot about psycho-social phenomenons in Latin America, and others related to the people experience of the social events and periods that they lived. His work was an important contribution for Political Psychology, Social Psychology and Community Psychology, and a lot of critical theories and disciplines. These are some examples of his work:
- An strange remedy for homosexuality: his legalization
- The complex of macho or the "machism"
- Psychology of the stroke
- Psychodiagnostic of Latin America
- Psychology of the salvadoran farmer
- Some psycho-social repercutions of the demographic density in El Salvador
- Social Psychology of the War: Trauma and therapy
- Social Psychology of the liberation for Latin America
I like him very much because he worked a lot of concepts and analysis of the relation between society, history and psychology, and that is what I am looking for in this career.
He was murdered by the army of the conservative government of El Salvador.
I sincerely believe that Martín Baró is a great contribution to psychology, his ideas are really important and significant :)
ResponderEliminarHe was a very important figure into the social psychology and I believe that is very important not forget him.
ResponderEliminar